Frequently Asked Questions

  • How and where can I get information?

    • The dates for the next orientation events can be found here.
    • Guide to studying abroad by the International Office
    • Database of partner universities provided by the International Office

    The pages above will give you more information about which universities you can apply to, application deadlines for your university of choice, requirements regarding language proficiency, as well as numerous reports by students recounting their time abroad.

    If you cannot find answers to your questions there, our exchange coordinator Juliane Roth is happy to help you. 

  • When are the application deadlines?

    The application deadlines depend on your country of destination and differ between Europe and overseas. To see the individual application deadlines, please visit the web pages of the International Office.

    Students starting their master’s program in the spring semester with the intention of spending a semester at a European university abroad should note that they might have to apply before even starting their studies in order to meet the application deadline on 31 January.

  • Which documents do I need to include in my application?

    Read more about which documents are required here.

  • What exactly is a partner university?

    The University of Mannheim has entered into exchange agreements with many universities worldwide. If such an agreement exists with a particular higher education institution, it is considered a partner university. The exchange agreements state that a certain number of students from one university can study abroad at the other university without, for instance, having to pay tuition fees. Oftentimes, these exchanges are limited to certain programs of study, since not all international universities offer courses in subject areas that fit those of the departments of the University of Mannheim, and vice versa.

    To find out more about the partner universities of the university and to browse the database, please visit the web pages of the International Office.

  • How many universities can I list as my preferred choice?

    You can indicate up to five partner universities as your preferred choice.

  • Can I study abroad for a whole year?

    To find out whether you can spend a whole year at a specific university abroad, please see the database of partner universities.

  • Which level of language proficiency do I need to prove for a semester abroad?

    You can find information about the recommended level of language proficiency here.

  • What are my chances of being admitted to my university of first choice?

    We cannot make a statement about your chances of being admitted to your university of choice. However, the selection criteria determined by the International Office can serve as an orientation:

    • grades and semesters you have studied
    • academic and personal motivation for studying abroad
    • language proficiency (at least a good level in the language of instruction)
    • proven social commitment, internships and special activities
    • formal correctness of the application and submission before the deadline
    • personal impression (in case an interview was conducted)
  • Can I submit my application to the school if I am studying a different major?

    All students must submit their applications to the International Office via the Mobility-Online portal. In the portal, you can see for which programs and majors you are able to apply.

  • Can I also go abroad during the spring semester?

    Generally, students have the option of going abroad both during the spring semester and the fall semester.

    Nevertheless, please note that the individual regulations might differ, as do the application deadlines for Europe and overseas.

  • What happens after I have submitted my application?

    Once you have submitted all the required documents before the applicable deadline, we will process your application. We will then notify you about the status of your application. As we receive a high number of applications each semester, please understand that we cannot give you any information on how long the processing will take.

  • What is a Learning Agreement?

    In the Learning Agreement, you determine the courses you will take during your semester abroad in agreement with the School of Business Informatics and Mathematics and your host university. The Learning Agreement serves as a guarantee that the School of Business Informatics and Mathematics will recognize the courses included in the agreement upon return. 

  • How do I conclude a Learning Agreement?


    If you are going to a partner university overseas, it is sufficient to fill out the internal Learning Agreement. Information about the Learning Agreement and relevant forms can be found here.


    If you are going to a European university, you are required to conclude an Erasmus Learning Agreement in addition to the internal Learning Agreement. The conclusion of the Erasmus Learning Agreement is a prerequisite for receiving the Erasmus grant. The Learning Agreement must be signed by both the departmental exchange coordinator at the University of Mannheim and the responsible exchange coordinator at your host university.

  • How do I find out more about courses that were recognized in past semesters?

    In the database of partner universities, you can search for reports by students who attended the university of your choice in past semesters, and find out which of the courses taken there were recognized by the University of Mannheim when they returned.

  • I would like to have additional courses recognized. What do I need to do?

    Usually, the recognition of additional courses will be decided on a case-by-case basis. In case of questions, please turn to our exchange coordinator Juliane Roth and the examination committee responsible for you.

  • Can I also take courses for my minor?

    It is possible to have courses taken abroad recognized for your minor, provided the courses at your host university can be considered equivalent to those you would have taken in Mannheim. In exceptional cases, this will be determined by the school or department offering the minor in Mannheim.

  • Can I have language courses recognized?

    Yes, if you are enrolled in one of our bachelor's programs. Students enrolled in a master's program, on the other hand, cannot have language courses recognized.

    Language courses will be recognized irrespective of the language taught and the ECTS credits awarded for this course at the host university. You do not need to conclude an internal Learning Agreement to have language courses recognized.

  • I am registered for an examination which is due to take place during my semester abroad. Can I withdraw from the exam?

    If you are unable to sit an exam you are registered for (whether by self-registration or mandatory registration) due to your semester abroad, you can submit a request to Student Services to be de-registered from the exam for valid reasons.

  • The contents of my selected courses overlap with each other or with courses in Mannheim. How do I find out whether it is possible to take both?

    If there is an overlap of course contents, either in the different courses you take abroad or with specialization courses you have already taken or will take in the future, please discuss with the examination committee whether it is possible to take both or all courses.

  • Is it possible to take courses from the Fundamentals area abroad?

    As a rule, you should have completed the Fundamentals area before your semester abroad. However, if you are still missing a course, it is possible to substitute it with a course taken at your higher education institution abroad. Bear in mind that it will only be recognized if it can be considered equivalent to the relevant mandatory course in Mannheim. Please send details on the courses you would like to have recognized to our exchange coordinator Juliane Roth.