Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Claudia Schillings
Lectures / Exercise Classes
- Monday, 10:15 - 11:45 h, A5, 6, C015
- Wednesday, 8:30 - 10:00 h, A5, 6, C015
The lecture couse Nonlinear Optimization will be continued remotely, i.e. without any lectures or tutorials requiring your personal attendance (until further notice).
We will follow the ideas of a flipped classrom:
- The lecture notes will be updated every Monday at the latest at 10:15 am (restricted area).
- The lecture notes are will be divided into pieces corresponding to the amount of 90 min lectures.
- I will be available in my office (or via Skype) during the usual lecture time for questions. We will schedule 15 minutes slots (or longer) to discuss questions in person (groups up to 2 students) or via Skype. Please see the restricted area for more details.
- The exercise sheets will be updated every Monday at the latest at 10:15 am (restricted area).
- The solutions of the exercise sheets can be handed in via email (pdf) to tutorin.lisa cc c.schillings(at)uni-mannheim.de.
- Sample solutions will be provided on the course webpage (restricted area).
- Lisa Raddatz will send you the corrected solutions via email.
- Lisa Raddatz will be available during the usual tutorial time for questions via Skype. We will schedule 15 minutes slots (or longer) to discuss questions. Please see the restricted area for more details.
- You are strongly encouraged to do the problem sheets in order to check your own understanding of the lecture. However, I will not enforce 50% correctly solved problems as requirement for the oral exam.
Please write me an email with your name when you plan to continue the lecture course and please check regularly my homepage for updates.
This is a new situation also for us, so any feedback / suggestions for improvement is more than welcome!!
- D. Bertsekas, Nonlinear Programming, Athena Scientific Publisher, Belmont, Massachusetts, 1995.
- A. R. Conn, N. I. M. Gould, P. L. Toint, Trust-Region Methods, SIAM, Philadelphia, 2000.
- J. E. Dennis, R. B. Schnabel, Numerical Methods for Unconstrained Optimization and Nonlinear Equations, SIAM Philadelphia, 1996.
- R. Fletcher, Practical Methods of Optimization, Wiley \& Sons Publisher, New York, 1980.
- C. Geiger, C. Kanzow, Numerische Verfahren zur Loesung unrestringierter Optimierungsaufgaben,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999.
- F. Jarre, J. Stoer: Optimierung, Springer Verlag.
- C. T. Kelley, Iterative Methods for Optimization, Frontiers in Applied Mathematics, SIAM, Philadelphia,
- J. Nocedal and S. J. Wright, Numerical Optimization, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999.
- M. Ulbrich, S. Ulbrich, Nichtlineare Optimierung, Birkhauser, 2012.