M.Sc. application and admission
The "Master in Business Informatics" is a consecutive Master's degree requiring a university degree in Business Informatics or a recognized equivalent degree in a business/economics or computer science subject.
Since the fall semester 2006/07, the University of Mannheim's semester and lecture dates have changed. Lectures run in the spring/summer semester from mid February to early June and in the autumn/winter semester from early September to mid December.
Admission to the course is restricted and subject to application. An application is possible for both the autumn/winter semester and the spring/summer semester of each year and can only be made via the online application portal of the University of Mannheim. You can find this online at www.bewerbung.uni-mannheim.de.
The Admissions Office of the University of Mannheim is in charge of your application:
You can only apply during the following application periods:
1 Oct - 15 Nov for the summer semester
15 Mar - 15 July for the fall semester
For your application you must send the following documents to the address stated above:
- your certificate of general university entrance qualification (Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulzugangsberechtigung - HZB), a relevant subject-specific HZB or a foreign HZB, which has been recognized as equivalent by the competent government authority,
- the printed and signed application form of the admissions office
- proof of the fulfillment of the entry requirements and selection criteria stated below,
- a signed CV.
The application period for all applicants is 15 March to 15 July for the fall semester and 1 October to 15 November for the summer semester. We draw your attention to the fact that these are final deadlines, which means that the application for admission together with all the necessary documents must be submitted by the specified deadline.
Admission to the "Master in Business Informatics" is restricted. The entry requirements for admission to a postgraduate "Master in Business Informatics (M.Sc.) degree, which all applicants must meet, are:
- a formally correct application for a university place within the application deadlines.
- proof that an earlier admission to the same course of study or another business/economic or computer science degree with largely the same content has not expired because an exam was failed once and for all or there is no entitlement to be examined any more. An according declaration must be enclosed in the application and where appropriate must be presented again at matriculation.
- a completed Bachelor degree in Business Informatics OR a recognized equivalent degree in a business/economics or computer science subject at a university in Germany or abroad or at a state-certified university of cooperative education. An equivalent degree has to include 30 ECTS in informatics, 30 ECTS in business sciences or business informatics and 18 ECTS in mathematics or statistics. The degree must amount to at least 180 ECTS or a standard course duration of at least 6 semesters or 3 years.
- Proof of good English skills. This is fulfilled if the student completed a first degree in English.
If this is not the case, students must present one of the following test results as proof of language proficiency:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language - Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT) with a score of at least 79 points. A TOEFL Computer-Based Test (CBT) with a score of at least 213 points or TOEFL Paper-Based Test (PBT) with a score of at least 550 points are also accepted.
- Cambridge ESOL Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) to at least Level C.
- Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) to at least Level C.
- International English Language Testing System - Academic Test (IELTS) to at least Band 6.0.
- General Management Admission Test (GMAT) with a score of at least 500 points.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE), general test with at least 60% in verbal reasoning and at least 80% in quantitative reasoning.
- English Language Certificate of the University of Mannheim Service and Marketing GmbH to at least Level B2 in Listening Comprehension, Written Language, Spoken Language and Reading Comprehension
For the Selection Regulations for the "Master in Business Informatics" click here.
Admission to the "Master in Business Informatics" is restricted. Only applicants who fulfill the admission requirements stated in the previous section are included in the selection process.
The decision to grant a university place is made on the basis of a ranking list by the Selection Committee of the School of Business Informatics and Mathematics. The ranking, in which applicants can achieve a maximum of 60 points, is based on the following selection criteria:
- For the final grade or for students still completing their degree the average grade of the marks so far for the Bachelor degree, a maximum of 50 points can be awarded. The average grade for the course marks so far required for the selection process is calculated by the institution awarding the Bachelor.
- For commercial, computer science or comparable relevant professional activities (vocational training, professional experience or internships), special achievement or qualifications which are particularly indicative of aptitude for the selected postgraduate degree, a maximum of 10 points can be awarded.